Comprehensive Eye & Vision Tests
At Houston Eye Doctor, we firmly believe that with better vision comes a better life. What better way to ensure you’re maintaining your vision than with a comprehensive eye exam?
For comprehensive eye exams in Houston and surrounding areas, look no further than Houston Eye Doctor. We understand each set of eyes is unique, so we treat our customers the same way. You’ll receive personalized attention from our eye doctors in an efficient and professional manner when you visit our vision centers.
For eye exams and a wide selection of glasses and frames, contact Houston Eye Doctor online.
What Is an Eye Exam?
Eye exams are full-service vision tests that are used to confirm your eyes are in healthy condition and functioning properly. These are different from those short vision screenings you go through at the DMV. A comprehensive eye exam gauges several factors and components of your eye to ensure your vision is at 100%. Some elements of a comprehensive eye exam include:
- Visual acuity test. This is a basic test where your vision is usually examined with a projected eye chart to measure your sharpness and near vision.
- Cover test. This test is usually performed by having the patient cover each of their eyes alternatively to gauge the strength of each eye.
- Ocular motility analysis. Also known as an “eye movement test,” our optometrists will measure eye transition speed to ensure a patient’s eye movement is quick and smooth.
- Stereopsis test. Commonly referred to as depth perception, a stereopsis test makes sure a patient’s eyes work together in a coordinated manner.
- Slit lamp exam. Using a specialized microscope, an optometrist will examine the components of a patient’s eye during a slit lamp exam. Eyelids, cornea, irises, and more are examined to check for any abnormalities.
- Pupil dilation. This part of a comprehensive eye exam begins with the application of special eye drops that cause a patient’s pupil to allow more light in, thus making their pupil enlarge. Optometrists have an easier time examining pupils when they’ve widened, which means issues or diseases are easier to spot.
These are just some examples of what may occur with a comprehensive eye exam. As we mentioned before—each set of eyes is different, so your optometrist will decide what’s right for you.
For your next comprehensive eye exam in Houston, contact Houston Eye Doctors today!
Why Do We Need Eye Exams?
The eyes are complex sensory organs. Not every issue associated with the eyes can be diagnosed with a simple vision screening. That’s why eye exams are an essential part of maintaining healthy eyes.
Pediatric Eye Exams
Starting pediatric or kids eye exams at a young age is crucial to ensure that eyes are developing correctly. Not only will optometrists be able to identify eye disease or vision problems at an early stage, but these eye exams can also help children learn and stay engaged in school.
It’s widely reported that 80% of what kids learn in school is taught visually. This means that good vision is not only import for a child’s health, but for their development and education as well.
If you have a child who hasn’t undergone a comprehensive eye exam, don’t wait. Contact Houston Eye Doctor online today!
Eye Exams for Adults
Eye exams can play an important part in the vision of adults as well. The most common causes of blindness tend to appear as we get older. Routine comprehensive eye exams are the best way to find and treat these issues early, which should help decrease the chances of vision loss.
Older adults who don’t undergo comprehensive eye exams tend to favor simple vision screenings or sometimes avoid regular eye checkups altogether, but there are issues in both of these instances. Vision screenings can be helpful routine eyesight checks, but they do not offer the level of thoroughness and assessment of an eye exam.
Of course, we also wouldn’t recommend avoiding eye exams or vision screenings altogether, either. Glaucoma, macular degeneration, and more eye diseases become more common as humans age. That’s why it’s just as important for adults to undergo comprehensive eye exams as kids.
If you or a loved one need a comprehensive eye exam, contact Houston Eye Doctor today!
Choose Houston Eye Doctor for Eye Exams in Houston
At Houston Eye Doctor, we have 75 years of combined experience in the field of optometry. Our eye doctors have been performing eye care services in Houston since 2009 and have recently expanded to Lubbock and Odessa as well!
For a large selection of vision products like glasses, frames, and contact lenses, as well as access to experienced optometrists, visit Houston Eye Doctor or contact us online!